Monday, January 5, 2009

New Year's Resolutions

OK, there's the obvious...eat better, move more.  This year I want to exercise the body and mind.  I want to read more and write more.  The more I read the better I write.  The more I write, the better I get at communicating.  My cousin got me into blogging before "blog" was a word.  It was a way to stay connected with each other.  I made online "friends" through other online "friends".  Some I still read about, even though we never met IRL (in real life).  Then there are IRL friends that I've added .  I rarely ever write, but I still read my f-list everyday.  Somewhere along the way I stopped writing in it because I didn't want to talk about myself.  I didn't want anyone to judge me and my problems.  I didn't want people to know that my (1st) marriage wasn't perfect.  I didn't want to tell the public things about my relationship that I couldn't even tell my husband.  If I said it out loud, then it would be real.  Now that THAT's over, and life has moved on, I think I can feel comfortable talking about me.  I talk about me to the people who have been my IRL friends, and they still like me and support me, so why shouldn't everyone else?  I also got it in my head that I was a crappy writer and not as smart as my highly educated LJ readers.  Last year, my goal was to stop worrying about being judged all the time.  Where did I get it in my head that I'm not smart, or that I suck at writing?  And if someone does think that, then who the hell cares?  Right?  

I decided to create a separate blog from my original livejournal, so it could be "all inclusive."  Meaning, my LJ, Myspace, and Facebook friends can all take a look.  Right now, I don't care who reads my blog.  I hope that one day, I don't start to feel self conscious again, and start to filter what I write.  

Here's a question for all the bloggers:
Is there anyone that you DON'T want reading your blog?  You don't have to give specific names.  For example, "I have a frenemy that can't keep her mouth shut about my business."  Or "I don't want my co-workers to see what I write."  Or "I don't want a certain person to read it because I talk about what a bitch she is all the time."

2 comments:

  1. Love your blog!

    I have a few different venues of posting as well, and in one of them I talk about being a mom. Many times I have to filter out what/who I WANT to write about simply because of my readers. Sometimes even though it would feel really great to tell it like it is, the mess that would leave behind IRL (as you put it) just isn't worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I filter alot! It's just better that way. My fam doesn't want to know everything...

    ReplyDelete