We had a memorial assembly today for a boy that died in a car accident on the day we got out for Christmas. My job was to teach the 2nd grade (his grade) a song about friendship. The counselor and I thought a happy song called "Best Friends" would be appropriate. We taught the children to stand still and smile. My song was the last part of the program.
The principal said a few words as an introduction. The PE Coach read a speech she had prepared, crying the whole time. The PTO president had difficulty keeping it together as she presented a large stuffed caterpillar to the boy's sister. I remained strong and would not let any tears go. A few teachers and children were crying, but many were able to stay strong. Then each child in his class read something they had written about him. Some were sweet and some were funny. Some had to be read by their teacher because they were crying. Each child handed a white rose to the mother after reading their part. I struggled to keep it together. Then, what seemed to be the saddest moment, my principal announces that we are going to sing our song. Our happy, upbeat song. I try to put on a big smile, we start to sing, and it sounds pretty good. But there are many children crying. In the middle, the teacher goes to one of the boys crying in the middle of the group, turns to face the audience and holds him. It was so hard to keep it together at this point, and I forgot the words. It was a very simple, short song. Thankfully, the kids who were still able to sing kept singing.
When the song ended, everyone applauded, and I had the students sit back down. When I sat down, I finally let go. A few minutes later, one of my favorite 2nd graders smiled and gave me a little wave. How sweet! At the end of the assembly, teachers were hugging and consoling children. Children were hugging each other. I sat down near my sweet student so I could be consoled. It was raining very hard outside, and one of my children said, "It sounds like the clouds are sad." Once I pulled it together, I hugged other children who needed it.
I am often asked which of my two schools I like better. I usually say that they are different and they both have good qualities that the other does not have. But if I had to choose one school over the other, I know today that I would choose this school. At many schools, you are not allowed to touch children, but this school welcomes love and hugs. Children are allowed to be children and the teachers show compassion and love for their students.
Happy Birthday Jelly Head
6 years ago
i feel so sad for this Carrie,but he will more happy in God's hand,,we know everybody deserve that.God bless
ReplyDelete